Thursday, September 4, 2008

Settling in for the Day

Settling myself for what may come, as a pastor of a medium sized Presbyterian Church, is something that I am working on but that I don't always achieve. For the past ten years this month I have been an ordained Minister of Word and Sacrament in the PC(U.S.A.) and you might think that means I am always centered in God, but I'll tell you it takes some practice. One thing that I almost always do is to say a brief prayer while I light the vanilla scented candle that sits on my desk, it is a prayer that goes something like, "God watch over me this day, help me to be about your work this day. Amen."

In the last year or so I have also incorporated the practice of keeping the hours, that is saying Morning Prayer when I arrive at the office, then saying Midday Prayer before I head home or out for lunch and then saying Evening Prayer before the multitude of evening committee and board meetings that keep a Presbyterian Church going about the business of Christ. And I have to say, if you have never tried keeping the hours it can be a truly rewarding experience.

I use our Presbyterian "Book of Common Prayer: Daily Prayer" edition to lead me in my efforts to "pray without ceasing." Each hour of prayer is full of Scripture as well as promptings to pray not only for what is on my mind and heart, but reminders to pray for the Body of Christ across the globe and for many people that I might forget in my day to day responsibilities.

So, in a nutshell, when I can, when I take the time to be with God and settle in for the day, one of the best ways for me to give God the glory is by turning to God with prayer and pray throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment