Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hand Tremors

For the last thirty years I have had hand tremors from time to time. Over the last few months it has gotten worse and noticeable, especially at times like communion and when picking Red Bull cans up the wrong way. Earlier this summer a doctor friend in the congregation noticed it and told me that there was medication for such a condition. I don't know why I didn't run to his office right away, maybe its because doctors and others have told me there's nothing that could be done for it for as long as I can remember. But today I am going to his office, granted I'm not looking forward to a needle or two, but if it will help steady my hands in certain situations that would be great.

I guess its just difficult to have to trust that something can be done after so many years of being told to "just calm down" or having people saying "cut back on the coffee". Interestingly enough if I don't have enough coffee sometimes its worse. So I guess this is a good step forward; it has been embarassing from time to time with church folks and even my seven year old son wondering about it. So I will literally put my hands in someone else's and hope and trust that this doctor will be able to find out a way to help steady me.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Sometimes taking that step is hard even if it means makes your life easier in the long run. I pray everything goes well and he's able to help.

    ReplyDelete